Wednesday, April 24, 2024

Concerns about refugee use of hotel accommodation

Must read


According to Forte Ireland, the use of hotel accommodation by refugees and asylum seekers has a major impact on the tourism industry.

Paul Kelly, the tourism association’s chief executive, said: “Our research shows that around 12 per cent of registered tourist accommodation is withdrawn on humanitarian grounds.” . “It is estimated that the use of this facility will result in a loss of between €750 million and €1.1 billion to the Irish economy, of which around €200 million will also be included in tax revenue.”

He told Morning Ireland that the industry hoped an alternative solution could be found “as soon as possible”.

In November, riots broke out in Dublin, prompting Fáilte Ireland to pause its marketing campaign. Winter in Dublin is magical. Although scenes of chaos in the capital made headlines around the world, Mr Kelly said it was unlikely to diminish Ireland’s international appeal.

“If it happens again, that’s another factor, but if it’s a one-time thing, it doesn’t seem to have long-term effects,” he said.

“Most businesses are predicting that international visitors will be higher than last year, so it’s great to see the recovery continue. And in terms of air access, we’re on the verge of having our best year ever. Overall, from a demand perspective, this year is looking very strong, especially in the North American market.”

Consent is required to load this rte-player contentWe use rte-player to manage additional content that can set cookies on your device and collect data about your activity. Please review the details and accept to load the content.Manage settings

Forte Ireland has announced its 2024 plan, which focuses on the sustainable development of the tourism industry.

A memorandum of understanding has been signed with the Irish Sustainable Energy Agency.

The partnership will enable tourism operators to easily access financial support available to reduce carbon emissions, improve energy efficiency and implement renewable technologies, it said.

“Forte Ireland remains committed to helping tourism businesses meet these challenges and focusing on climate change, which is the biggest long-term challenge for all of us. We see a very clear and significant opportunity to decarbonise, and this will continue to be a key focus for us over the coming year. ”

Central to the plan is a new climate action program developed in consultation with tourism businesses, which includes the appointment of a dedicated business advisor to support every step of their climate action journey. included.

SEAI CEO William Walsh said the new Memorandum of Understanding will help SEAI and Forte Ireland “ensure that the tourism sector meets national climate targets, reduces carbon emissions and eliminates fossil fuel systems in all its activities”. “This will help to raise awareness of the support available to enable people to replace their patients.”

The tourism organization will also celebrate the 10th anniversary of its first regional tourism brand, Wild Atlantic Way, in 2024.

To continue to motivate visitors to take domestic holidays in Ireland, and to encourage international visitors to choose Ireland as a destination, Forte Ireland has announced that there will be up to 150 homes with the potential to be developed across four regions. updated the industry on a possible future pipeline of new or upgraded tourism projects. brand.

Some of these new tourist attractions and experiences include Queen Mave Square in Sligo, a new watersports facility in Curraghough, Co. Wexford, Dublin Castle Record Tower in Dublin city center and Connaught in Portumna, Co. Galway. Eight new attractions and experiences are scheduled to open in 2024, including the harbour.



Source link

More articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Latest article