The parents of a two-month-old baby saved the baby’s life Sunday night by following the instructions of a nurse at an emergency call center.
The girl was taken to Torrevieja Hospital and released after tests showed her to be in “good health” with the help of her parents and nurse Marta Martínez Campos.
A mother and father from Orihuela Costa called the emergency number 112 in the Valencia region just after 11 p.m. to say that their daughter had choked after drinking milk and had gone into cardiopulmonary arrest.
The 112 operator transferred the call to a nurse while an ambulance arrived at the home.
Nurse Marta then coached the parents on what to do when performing basic CPR.
Their family home was just a short drive from Torrevieja Hospital, so instead of waiting for an ambulance, they drove to the scene and continued resuscitation.
Marta continued to give instructions and after three or four cycles, the girl started crying.
The calls didn’t end there, as Marta insisted she continue calling until her parents were in the emergency room.
Medical personnel said that thanks to everyone’s efforts, the baby was in good health and was discharged from the hospital after simple tests.
“The girl’s family was very grateful,” said nurse Marta Marinez Campos.
“The most important thing was how carefully they listened to my instructions and made things perfect. The results were great.”